Monday, April 1, 2013


You’ve Come This Far

I wanted nothing more than to eat those delicious dollops of batter that were dripping off of the spoon! I was making a cheesecake for the next day’s Easter dinner and the temptation to lick that remaining batter was overwhelming.  I was starving and here was the perfect answer for my rumbling belly! I mean a little bit of batter isn’t going to matter that much is it?

I agree with that great anonymous theologian that concluded that fat has its very own place in the dominion of darkness (this statement is a joke, insert laughter here please). It seems to me that keeping eating habits in control is right up there in difficulty with climbing Mt. Everest. Not an easy thing to do, so in order to deal with this challenge we have a house rule that there is to be no eating in the late hours of the night. As I am standing there salivating over this delicious goo, my eye catches the glowing numerals on the stove clock, 12:02 midnight. Ugh! I also know from experience that one indulgence like this at this particular time can translate into a disappointing experience at the morning weigh-in. Suddenly the words popped into my sleepy brain, “You’ve come this far, you can’t give in now!” It was true, I had struggled all night to keep a commitment, it would be just plain dumb to give up now.

It is in those moments when the night seems darkest, when our aching muscles just can’t go on, when our faith is faltering, when our broken hearts don’t want to beat any longer that we must not give in! There is a morning coming sooner then you think and relief will come with it, whether that means a bite of heaven or a mansion in heaven. You’ve come this far, you can’t give up now!

4 comments:

  1. Wow!! Beautiful read all your bloggs and love them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anonymous, wholehearted dittoes from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you all are well and blessed!!

      Delete