Thursday, September 5, 2013


A Self-Made Man

Paul just knew he could make it a success! Despite having little restaurant experience, no business expertise and few resources, he fully believed he could open a booming restaurant. Problem was that Paul needed money to launch his dream. The banks literally laughed in his face after checking out his financial profile, friends doubted his ability to give a return on their investments so he was stuck until he could raise some capital. It was on a flight to a job interview that he found himself pouring out his frustrations to the gentleman sitting on his left. “I just know I could make a go of it!” he lamented to him. The bespectacled man nodded his head. “You have reminded me,” he slowly stated, “Of when I was starting out in business.” “I found myself in a very similar position.” There was a moment of contemplative silence, he then continued, “I will invest the money so you can start your restaurant.” “Everyone deserves a chance.”  Paul could not believe his good fortune!  “Oh! Thank you sir!” was about all he could express as he heartily shook the man’s hand.
Years passed and through much diligence, Paul’s restaurant did become a hit. He was making a nifty little profit! Friends admired him, critics raved and life was good. One day an elderly couple came in for supper and started to question Paul about his accomplishment. Paul eagerly told them all about his strategies, ideas, inspirations and hard work. The man gently nodded his head, “So you did this all yourself?” he asked. “Oh yes, I am self-made! “ was Paul’s quick reply. “Well,” replied the gentleman, “I remember a young man who had nothing to start this with.” “You see I am the initial investor you met on the plane ride.” Suddenly Paul felt embarrassed. He had not seen the man since that day on the plane. “Oh, yes…” he muttered, “I am so sorry.” “I guess I did have a little help.” The fellow gave a light chuckle and kindly said, “Just remember, we never succeed alone.” Paul headed back towards the kitchen, looking at the faces of his staff as he went. It was about time he did something nice for them.  

Image retrieved from: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/340/2/2/Waiter_by_blackgriffon.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment